In this post I breakdown Aria Montgomery’s (Lucy Hale) makeup from Pretty Little Liars…
What you’ll need:
- Foundation- NARS Sheer Glow Foundation in Deauville
- Concealer- NARS Concealer in Honey
- Powder- NARS Pressed Powder in Eden
- Blush- NARS Powder Blush in Mata Hari
- NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base
- Cream eyeshadow and allover base- NARS Cream Eye Shadow in Pearl Beach
- Eye shadow inner corner/brow bone highlight-NARS Eye Shadow in Abyssinia
- Lid eye shadow- NARS Eye Shadow in New York
- Upper lash line eyeliner- NARS Eye Liner Pencil in Black Moon
- Lower lash wet line eyeliner- NARS Eye Liner Pencil in Iceberg
- Lower lash line- NARS Soft Touch Shadow Pencil in Aigle Noir
- Brows- NARS Eye Shadow in Blondie
- Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler
- Mascara- NARS Larger Than Life Voluminizing Mascara
- Lashes- Ardell Accents Lashes #301
- DUO Eyelash Glue
- Lip pencil/lipstick- NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dolce Vita
- Nail polish-NARS Nail Polish in Blue Lagoon
- Moisturize and use primer to prep your skin for makeup. Using a foundation brush or your clean fingers apply your NARS Sheer Glow foundation from the center of your face, blending downward and outward. Apply concealer with a concealer brush or clean fingers over and under the eyes and wherever additional coverage is needed. Using a large fluffy brush, set your makeup completely with the pressed powder.
- Using a large fluffy powder brush, smile to find the round, fleshy, apple of your cheeks and apply your Mata Hari blush, blending softly up into the hairline for a natural flush.
- Using the doe foot applicator, apply NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base all over the eye from lash line to brow bone. Using a synthetic bristle brush or a clean finger, apply cream eye shadow in Pearl Beach all over the lid up to the eyebrows as well as a thin line on the lower lash line-this will intensify the Soft Touch Powder Shadow Pencil you apply on top of it. Apply New York eye shadow to the lid and slightly up to the crease, but not above it, following the natural shape of the eye socket. You want the majority of the color and product to be on the lid. Using a clean tapered blending brush, softly blend the cream and powder eye shadows together until you achieve the desired color, shape, and effect. Apply Abyssinia eye shadow to the tear ducts and brow bone to highlight.
- Use the Soft Touch Shadow Pencil in Aigle Noir, to the lower lash line, smudging the product into the lower lashes, smoking out the line and blending the cream shadow and shadow pencil together to achieve the desired effect. You want the most concentration of color and product to be on the outer edge and corner of the eye. Concentrate on the outer edge and only draw the line ¾ the way in towards the inner corner of the eye.
- Using NARS Eye Liner Pencil in Iceberg, draw a thin line on the waterline (read: inner rim) of the lower lashes. This simple trick will help make the whites of your eyes appear larger and brighter, an essential step in the Aria Montgomery look.
- Using NARS Eye Liner Pencil in Black Moon, starting at the outer lashes and working your way in, apply a thin, tight line to the upper lashes. Drawing the line thinner as you reach the inner corner and tear duct. You can go over the line to smooth it out, even out any mistakes, and make a slightly thicker line on the outer edge. Again, you want the most concentration of color and product to be on the outer edge and corner of the eye. You really want to deposit the product at the base of the lashes, making the lashes look thick and lush and further defining the eye.
- Curl your lashes with the Shu Uemura eyelash curler. Get as far back to the eyelid as possible (without pinching!) and pump the curler for ten seconds to really lock in the curl. Apply NARS Larger Than Life Voluminizing black mascara to the upper and lower lashes, getting as far back to the root of the lashes as possible for a thick, rich look.
- Using your fingers or a pair of tweezers, carefully remove the lashes. Apply a thin but substantial amount of glue to the base of the lashes, (I apply a little extra on the inner and outer edges) wait twenty seconds for the glue to become tacky, and then apply the lashes just on the outer corner of your eye. These half lashes add a natural yet eye opening effect. You want to place the lashes just on top of your own natural ones; you can hold them in place and give them a moment to set up before you proceed. The glue goes on white but dries clear. Once the lashes and subsequent glue have dried, you can take one more pass with your black eye pencil. Gently apply a thin line of eye pencil just on top of your false lashes; this will help make your false lashes look more natural.
- Use a synthetic bristle angle brush to lightly fill in your brows with NARS eye shadow in Blondie. Use short, upward strokes- you’re creating a shadow effect, the illusion that there is slightly more hair.
- Line and fill in the lips completely with NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dolce Vita to complete the Aria Montgomery look.
What do you think of the Aria Montgomery’s makeup? Would you try it? I hope you enjoyed this week’s breakdowns of Pretty Little Liars character makeup as much as I enjoyed writing them. I think Aria and Hanna are my favorite looks of the four, what about you? I have been catching up on season one on DVD this week, available here, in the name of “research.” If you haven’t yet tuned in, I definitely recommend it!
If you have any TV, movie, celebrity, or model breakdowns you would like to see here sound off in a comment below!